December 8, 2010

Mommy Thumb got you down?

I was reading through health news today and there was a report on the rise of "Mommy Thumb".  I thought they were just making up names to funny symptoms, but once I read through what Mommy Thumb is, I totally have had it before.  Doctors have said there are more cases of mommy thumb cue to heavier babies, older moms and increased use of smart phones (I swear I'm not making that last one up).  Maybe all the blogging doesn't help either. 

Mommy Thumb is tendinitis of the tendons that goes down the thumb to the wrist.  It causes severe pain when you use your thumb.  I remember when Emmy was about 10 months old when I started having pain in that same spot.  I couldn't pick her up with that hand; I had trouble screwing on the tops to her bottles; things were just getting difficult.  So I went to the doctors and he gave me a shot of Tordol, an anti-inflammatory and gave me a wrist brace to wear for a few weeks. 

Have you noticed any pain in your hands?  Here is the easiest at home solutions:  ice, ibuprofen, and a wrist brace (and maybe putting down the smart phones).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
© 2010 Laura Jane Designs
Elements by Jennifer Fox