May 2, 2010

The Bare Toddler

The weather here has been wonderful today.  The sun is shinning and there is a cool gentle breeze.  We have been enjoying a great day outside in the sun.  I decided to get my bathing suit on, lay out and get a tan while I read this months Parenting magazine. So as I laid out the blanket on the grass Emily runs inside and strips down naked. She then runs outside and lays down next to me so proud of herself and happy that she is without her clothes. However cute I think her little naked tush is, I think, at almost 3 she is beyond the point of running around naked.

Modesty is a strange lesson to teach. I don't want her to be embarrassed of her body but I don't want her to be unaware of the need to cover up.  She loves to be undressed and even has a 'naked dance' as we call it.  She sings "naked, naked, naked" while sticking her bare little tush out and shaking it.  It really is adorable. 

When do toddlers need to cover up?  Is nudity okay in the house so long as its not in public?  Where do we draw the line?

As I do some research on the subject though, it seems nudity is just another behavioral milestone.  Nudity gives a 2 or 3 year old a sense of control.  So maybe her love for naked time is okay at home at certain times.  But I think even in our backyard we should wear a bathing suit to run through the sprinklers. 

Top Mommy Blogs - Vote for us @ TopMommyBlogs.Com!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! Em is just learning about boundaries. She is so adorable. :) Happy you guys enjoyed the afternoon together! It was such a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
© 2010 Laura Jane Designs
Elements by Jennifer Fox