May 30, 2010

Ouchy Tummies (As Em says it)

This has been a busy weekend for this mama.  I have a whole houseful of sickies this weekend.  My poor babies have been having vomiting and diarrhea for days.  Its been a struggle to get them to even try to drink anything.  There has been a constant flow of laundry and hand sanitizer in hopes I stay healthy enough to take care of them.  Andy had to stay home from work yesterday as he joined them on the sick bed but decided to go to work today (I just hope he doesn't have a big structure fire with no energy to work very hard).  Days like today I am grateful I am a pediatric nurse, these child illnesses I am fairly immune to because of my high exposure rate at work. 

When kids are sick with vomiting and diarrhea and not drinking very much, do you know when to take them to the doctor or hospital?  You can keep your kids at home and save your co-pay as long as they are still playful and urinating.  Keep them home and comfortable and offer them water, pedialyte, or a Popsicle.  My kids (and most kids I've ever taken care of) hate pedialyte.  It tastes bad on a good day so needless to say it tastes bad when your sick.  Gatorade seems like a good supplement, but it's not.  The electrolytes are balanced for an athletic adult male, not for a little child.  So what can you do?  Try the pedialyte frozen pops.  They taste better and kids think its a treat! 

If your child has not urinated in 12 hours or is getting lethargic, then it might be time for the doctors or the hospital.  Dehydration can be dangerous if not addressed.  It can lead to seizures and mental changes.  Once in the hospital they will rehydrate until your child starts eating more.

1 comment:

  1. Good advice! I have wondered.

    Hope everyone feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
© 2010 Laura Jane Designs
Elements by Jennifer Fox